A: This is a common question and in order to get the straight answer from a company you have to ask a few more questions.
Many homeowners who do their homework prior to having a company come out for an estimate know that mortar is the best way to put together a window, but some companies are evasive or misleading.
Here’s an example of a call that will not give you the information you need to make a good decision:
- Company: Hi this is John from XYZ glass block window company, how can I help you?
- Homeowner: I’m looking for a glass block window. Do you use mortar?
- Company: Yes we do.
At this point the homeowner would naturally assume that the window is mortared. Understand that nearly all glass block windows are mortared into the opening, but that only tells part of the story. A few more questions are necessary to get to the bottom of it.
Good sample follow up questions to ask:
- What holds your windows together?
- Is there anything between the blocks?
- So are we talking about around the outside or between the blocks themselves?
Asking those follow up questions, as well as looking over any quote, contract or proposal for the words “mortar between the blocks” is critical to making a smart buying decision.